Worried about a child?

Action is vital

If you think a child might be suffering neglect or abuse, it can be difficult to know what to do. But your action is vital in making sure that child gets the help they need.


Who should I talk to if I'm worried about a child?

If you have any concerns about a child’s welfare, please do contact your local children’s social care duty team. They’re available 24 hours a day.

Whilst you may be concerned about involving social services, these teams do more than check up on childrens’ welfare.

If a family is struggling, they can organise early help and support for the children and parents, before any problems become advanced and harder to solve.

Report child abuse to your local council:

England Wales Scotland Northern Ireland

What information do I need to give?

If you are unsure that it is a concern worth reporting, you can call the team and talk it through. They will be able to advise if it is a child protection concern, or whether other help should be provided for the child and family.

You can remain anonymous when reporting.

The more detail you are able to provide, the better the team will be able to help. Remember, if you have noticed that there is something wrong, then other people may well have done too. A teacher, health visitor or other person that knows the family may have already alerted the local authority. So, your piece of information might fill in a crucial missing part of a whole picture of concerns for the child that others have contributed to.

The Department for Education's Tackle Child Abuse campaign website provides more information on how to spot the signs of child abuse and what to do.

Find out more


Action for Children does not investigate specific cases of child abuse. We will forward any messages we get about abuse to the police or social services.